Agnes of God: The Exit Interview
Our acclaimed production of John Pielmeier's "Agnes of God" has closed, but we were so excited to sit down with one of our Artistic Associates, Angelique Dina, to talk about her performance as Agnes in the show, and a host of other questions that were a burning a hole in our comment box.
Here's the Exit Interview for "Agnes of God" with Angelique Dina
1. What is your favorite line from the show? (Doesn't have to be yours?)
My favorite line is “Mama never forgive me, and I never forgave the church” That line really sat with me. Growing up in the church, I saw a lot of unfortunate situations.
2. What role would you like to play other than your own?
Hmmmmm. I would love to play Sister Margaret haha! But in all seriousness, I think playing Dr. Livingstone would be pretty fun to try. Mel did a fantastic job playing the role, hopefully I can live up to her performance!
3. If you became a nun, what name would you take?
Oh dear…I’m going with Sister Margaret
4. Would you hire Mel as your therapist?
Yes! I feel like we’d make serious progress. We would most likely wear funny socks and drink rosé, but it would be therapeutic.
5. This was your second time working with Lynne as your director, how has it been continuing that working relationship?
Working with Lynne again was incredible. This role was very different from Marianne Angelle and Lynne was very supportive of all my choices in trying to make Agnes a living, breathing human. She played Agnes years ago and she never once told me to do something that she did when she was Agnes. She let me make Agnes a strong but vulnerable woman in my own way. I love working with Lynne and I hope to do so again!
6. What did it take to get to those emotional moments each night?
Oh my. Well I don’t really have a special process to get me to those moments. I just had to be in it the moment and focus on my scene partners- connecting and breathing with them. All emotions were organic.
7. What are you taking away from this production?
Not to be cliche, but I am taking away Agnes with me. Getting to be Agnes was a thrilling experience- one i’ll always be grateful for. I’m honored to have been trusted to tell her story.
8. You and Lee worked together on "American Drag." How was it playing those one-on-one scenes with her in such a vastly different show?
Whew chilee. It was definitely a completely different experience. American Drag was funny as hell and this show.. Well, not so much haha. In this process, we really worked on our complex relationship and how Mother Superior and Agnes needed each other. I was her salvation and she was my savior- well she kept me safe as best she could. But every dark secret comes to light.
9. Who will you miss the most?
I think i’m gonna miss Peggy the most. I LOVE YOU PEGGY!
10. Describe the experience in one word.